IBA Conference on the "Renewable Wilhelmsburg Climate Protection Concept"
After seven years of the IBA’s key theme "Cities and Climate Change – New energy for the city" and six years of the "Renewable Wilhelmsburg" climate protection concept it is time to take stock and compare what has been achieved with the formulated goals and with other national and international projects: How successful was the IBA Hamburg’s approach in anchoring climate protection within an urban district so as to provide the basis for promoting climate-neutral urban development? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the concept and which conclusions can be drawn for its further development for the Elbe islands and its transfer to other Hamburg districts and large conurbations? A three-day public event series will examine these complex issues at different levels.
On the first day the climate protection concepts of various major European cities will be put under the spotlight. At the same time, German flagship projects from the German Federal Ministry of Transport, Building and Urban Development will be presented and discussed. This will be followed by excursions to the IBA Hamburg project area to visit projects forming part of the Renewable Wilhelmsburg Climate Protection Concept.
The second day will also focus on the Renewable Wilhelmsburg Climate Protection Concept and its projects. An expert panel will assess what has been achieved so far and will formulate demands for further developing the concept. To end the day, the discussion will be continued at an evening reception held in the Energy Bunker. The third day will be devoted to experts from the construction and energy sectors. Based on the initial intermediate results from the "EnEff:Stadt - IBA Hamburg" research project, workshops will be used for analysing the strengths and weaknesses of the individual projects and for discussing the further development of strategic activity fields for the climate protection concept.
- Hamburg Department for Urban Development and the Environment (BSU)
- Coordination Centre for Climate Protection, German Federal Ministry of Transport, Building and Urban Development (BMVBS)
- EnEff:Stadt research project: IBA Hamburg; funding body: German Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology (BMWi)
- Project alliance for the Hamburg EnEff:Stadt projects
- TRANSFORM research project: Transformation Agenda for Low Carbon Cities (EU-FP 7), Interreg IV C-Project CLUE – Climate Neutral Districts in Europe.